Polish soldiers in Afghanistan | photo. U.S. Army photograph by Sgt. Justin HowePublic domain
The bitter words of the president of the United States have moved the public around the world. Donald Trump stated that NATO troops were “holding behind” in Afghanistan. Among another things, the British and all another countries who sent their soldiers on missions in this country alongside America were outraged. The Polish contingent besides secured 1 of the provinces there. Over 2 decades, over 33,000 Polish soldiers passed through Afghanistan, and respective twelve never returned to their families. The Polish Prime Minister referred to the shocking message of the American leader in a short entry.
In his fresh statements, Donald Trump repeatedly suggested that "he is not sure" whether NATO allies would aid America if the US called them. However, we all know that this happened after September 11, 2001, erstwhile Muslim terrorists demolished the towers of the fresh York planet Trade Center in the most tragic suicide bombing in history. The assassination became an excuse for the US to launch a twenty-year war on terrorism, 1 of which was an armed intervention in Afghanistan. American forces were accompanied by auxiliary troops from NATO countries – including Poland.
Although Poland had no direct interest in interfering with the sovereignty of Afghanistan, a Polish military contingent was sent to the country, which secured the state of Ghazni. Over 33,000 Polish soldiers took part in missions in 2 decades. 44 Poles did not come home.
In a Thursday interview with Fox News Trump continued to underestimate NATO troops' participation in Afghanistan. “We never needed them. We never truly asked them for anything," he said. However, the most shocking statements came later. The American president stated that The soldiers of the auxiliary quotas kept ‘a small behind’, ‘a small distant from the front line’.
Tusk: American officers said America would never forget Polish heroes
These words were widely commented on in Western countries, especially those countries that participated in missions in Afghanistan and previously in Iraq. Prime Minister Donald Tusk besides referred to Trump's statement.
"On December 22, 2011, I participated in the Afghan Ghazni as Polish Prime Minister in the farewell of 5 fallen Polish soldiers. The American officers accompanying me said that America would never forget Polish heroes. possibly they'll remind president Trump about this”
– Tusk wrote on X.
On December 22, 2011, I participated in the Afghan Ghazni as Prime Minister of Poland in the farewell of 5 fallen Polish soldiers. The American officers accompanying me said that America would never forget Polish heroes. possibly they'll remind president Trump.
— Donald Tusk (@donaldtusk) January 23, 2026
Source: X / PAP














